Tigers Tear Apart Powerless Port


The Richmond Tigers have withstood a tame Port Adelaide 5.13.43 – 11.10.76 at the Adelaide Oval. Jack Riewoldt kicked 4.0 goals to spoil the party for the retiring 300-gamer Kane Cornes.

Star midfielder Ollie Wines returned to the starting line-up for Port after a month out with a dislocated wrist, but it was Richmond who were demonstrating some handy work in midfield early. Shane Edwards produced a great contest in the air inside 50, recovered quickly and hand-balled straight to  Jake Batchelor who slotted the first major of the evening. 

The Tigers led effective kicks 9-2 and tackles 8-4 after 13 minutes and made the pressure count on the board with another goal to Brandon Ellis from an intercept mark right in front. When Brett Deledio bombed a set shot right on 50 there were some nervous looking Port fans at the Adelaide Oval.

The Tigers won 6 clearances in a row, but were struggling to score from stoppages. Brett Deledio was leading by example with 8 disposals, 5 handballs and 2 tackles to go with his goal. Port Adelaide remained goalless for the quarter trailing 3.4.22 – 0.3.3. Richmond didn’t make the Power pay for their lack of cohesion.

The Power have averaged 22 clanger kicks so far this season and are on track with 11 in the first quarter. There was nothing wrong with the kick into 50 from the centre clearance that found Chad Wingard for the Power’s first goal of the night.

Port Adelaide managed to enter the forward 50 7 times in the first 10 minutes of the second quarter for a 1.1 return. Richmond withstood the offensive and countered with a double offensive of their own. Jack Riewoldt and Anthony Miles combined two times in two minutes achieving set shots. Riewoldt converted from 20 degrees to push the lead out to four goals.

Wingard and Schultz missed shots from less than 20 metres out as Port looked for answers after creating 5 clear chances inside the last ten minutes and only converting 2 of them. Griffiths put a dagger in the Port defence after making the most of a fumble by Port coming out of defence with less than a minute remaining. Richmond held their lead at the major break 3.6.24 – 7.5.47.

“We’ve got a game on our hands here so looking forward to the second half,” Brandon Ellis. Ellis tallied 12 kicks, 15 disposals, 2 tackles and a goal in the first half. His motivation was key to the Tigers withstanding some constant Power pressure up front.

Tigers tall forward Ty Vickery was forced from the field in the first half after having his knee twisted when trapped under a tackle. To make matters worse, half-back Bachar Houli was also subbed after being injured early in the third.

The Power again displayed little problem entering the forward 50 (6) but their finishing was still poor. A goalless 10 minutes was finally broken by Angus Monfries who bombed away from 50 out. The ball could have been touched on the line, but some crafty shepherding saw it home to have the home side within 15 points.

Monfries’ goal was the only one scored in the quarter. Passing inaccuracy and consistent breakdown of play along the wings made for some unattractive footy. Richmond did not score a point but still held a lead of 13 points heading into the final term.

In a low scoring contest Jack Riewoldt kicked and important goal early. The crafty forward had 19-points (3.1) and remained a focus up front for the Tigers. 18 year-old Connor Menadue showed promise with a 55 metre bomb moments later to push the lead beyond 4 goals (4.10.34 – 9.6.60). Port were challenged to kick more goals in the remaining 14 minutes then they had all match. 

“Great win for the footy club and our fans,” commented Riewoldt after the match.

Richmond ran away with the match with 4 goals to 1 in the final quarter. Richmond face the flying Essendon next week while Port travel to meet the Demons at TIO Traeger Park in Darwin.