Recipe: Turn to Salmon for Grilling Alternative
There's nothing wrong with hot dogs, burgers or any other meat on that barbecue grill. But, a nice piece of fish can be a welcome change up for whomever enjoys the fruits of your grilling labor.
This salmon recipe is simple to prep. However, it requires a lighter touch around the grill. You might want to use tinfoil over your grilling surface to prevent overcooking or sticking. Salmon flakes easily, and if it sears to the BBQ grill, it might tear and fall to the fire gods.
- 4 Salmon Steaks (About 6 oz each)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 English cucumber diced. (No need to peel)
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp for topping
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp minced green onion
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small tomato, seeded and diced (I like to use orange or yellow tomatoes due to a lower less acid content.)
Preparation: Combine the salsa ingredients in bowl, cover and put in refrigerator overnight.
To grill salmon, coat each side with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Grill skin side down for 4-5 minutes on each side. Fish should flake easily.
Serve with salsa and extra cilantro, if desired.