Cocktails at the Post: Race to Kentucky Derby Cocktails
For some unlucky celebrants, the Run for the Roses will become the run for the porcelain bus because he or she indulged in one too many bad, overly sweet Mint Juleps laded with cheap booze. To save you from that fate, you’ll see some recipes below from top bourbon distillers.
Maker’s Mark Mint Julep (top)
- 2 Parts Maker’s Mark Bourbon
- Fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons simple syrup* muddled with mint
- Splash of distilled water
- Powdered sugar
- Mint sprig for garnish
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup distilled water
Directions: Mix together simple syrup muddled with mint, Maker’s Mark Bourbon and distilled water. Fill glass with crushed ice and pour mixture over top. Sprinkle top of ice with powdered sugar. Garnish with a mint sprig. *Simple Syrup: Heat to dissolve sugar, stirring constantly so the sugar does not burn. Set aside to cool.
Bourbon Ball Julep
- 2 parts Maker’s Mark® Bourbon
- ½ DeKuyper Amaretto Liqueur
- ½ DeKuyper White Crème De Cocoa
- ¼ parts Dekuyper Muddled Mint
- Sugar and crushed pecans
Directions: Pour Maker’s Mark Bourbon, DeKuyper Amaretto Liqueur, DeKuyper White Crème De Cocoa, Dekuyper Muddled Mint over ice in shaker. Shake well and strain over ice. Sprinkle with sugar and crushed pecan.
Champagne Mint Julep
- 2 parts Maker’s Mark Bourbon
- 2 parts sparkling white wine or Champagne
- ½ parts elderflower liqueur
- Lemon twist and mint for garnish
Directions: Mix together Maker’s Mark Bourbon, sparkling white wine, elderflower liqueur. Muddle with mint. Pour over crushed ice and garnish with lemon twist.
Blade and Bow 22-Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Mint Julep
- 1.25 oz. Bulleit Bourbon 10 Year Old
- 1.5 tsp. sugar
- Fresh mint leaves
Directions: Muddle mint leaves, sugar and splash of water in a rocks glass or julep cup. Add Bulleit 10, water, and fill glass with crushed ice and stir. Garnish with fresh mint.
Blade and Bow “New” Fashioned
In an old fashioned glass (or rocks glass, whichever is readily available):
- 1.25 oz. Blade and Bow Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- 1.5 oz. simple syrup
- Muddle 1 orange slice
- Add ice
- Add 0.75 oz. St-Germain
- Top with a splash of soda and garnish with an orange slice and cherry