Donald Trump Shares Major News on Sending Troops to Poland
Photo by Kent NISHIMURA / AFP via Getty Images

Donald Trump Shares Major News on Sending Troops to Poland

Donald Trump just dropped a surprising price tag on one of Washington’s most iconic landmarks. The president revealed a massive cost estimate for the Reflecting Pool as legal battles continue to unfold.

Donald Trump says US is sending 5000 troops to Poland

President Donald Trump announced the US will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, the BBC reported Thursday. The decision comes just one week after the Pentagon cancelled a planned 4,000-troop deployment. Trump made the announcement on Truth Social without clarifying key operational details.

Trump attributed the move to his relationship with Polish President Karol Nawrocki. He backed Nawrocki during Poland’s presidential elections last year. The US president did not specify whether these troops were part of the cancelled deployment.

The announcement arrives amid broader shifts in US military posture across Europe. The White House recently signalled plans to reduce overall troop levels under its “America First” agenda. Earlier this month, the US also announced a withdrawal of 5,000 troops from Germany. That decision followed a dispute between Trump and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz over the war with Iran.

It remains unclear whether the Poland-bound troops are those withdrawing from Germany. US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth previously called the cancelled Poland deployment “a temporary delay.” He added that the US will continue to ensure it “retains a strong military presence” in Poland.

Nawrocki has long supported Trump and earned his endorsement before winning Poland’s presidential election. He previously told the BBC that Trump is the only leader capable of stopping Vladimir Putin. Despite Trump’s criticism of NATO allies, Nawrocki insisted the US remained Europe’s security guarantor.

Foreign ministers from NATO countries met in Sweden on Friday at a summit, including Secretary of State Marco Rubio. Rubio was expected to call for increased burden sharing from NATO partners. Several Republican lawmakers have also criticised the Germany troop withdrawal for risking the wrong message to Russia.

TRENDING

X