ASUS Transformer Book: Optimal Back to School Choice
The ASUS Transport Book has one advantage over any other tablet, laptop or desktop PC you might be considering for a back to school purchase. In fact, it has the same advantage over each of those: It can serve any or all of those at once.
While ASUS might not trip off the tongue at first when thinking about laptop or tablet makers, a several week test of this Transformer book proved their devices can hold their own against the like of Apple, Samsung, Dell, etc.
As powerful as an entry level PC, this tablet transforms into a laptop with an interconnected, detachable keyboard. But, the Transport Book doesn’t just transform between gadget category. It smoothly transitions from Windows 8 into Android functions with a 4th generation Intel Core processor.
Related: New Tech Gear Heads to Campus
During our review testing, the Transport Book, we assumed the unit would perform well as a Windows tablet. But, we wanted to confirm if it could indeed double up as a stand in for a laptop. Equipped with both MS Office Home and Student, we could find no essential laptop function the Book couldn’t handle.
More importantly, with an MRSP hovering around $350, the Book can step into Back to School duty under most laptop price points — making it a prime option for equipping kids headed back to campus.
ASUS Transformer Book Specs
- Processor Quad core Intel® Atom processor
- Operating System Windows 8.1 with MS Office Home & Student 2013
- Main Memory 2GB
- Storage 32GB eMMC with ASUS WebStorage
- 32GB eMMC + 500GB HDD with ASUS Webstorage
- 64GB eMMC with ASUS Webstorage
- Display 10.1″ HD (1366*768) IPS with multi-touch
- Graphics Intel HD Graphics
- Camera 1.2Mp camera
- Battery 31Whr (11 hrs)
- Dimensions Tablet: 10.4” x 6.7” x 0.41”
- Dock: 10.4” x 6.7” x 0.51”
- Weight Tablet only: 1.2 lbs
- Tablet with Dock: 2.4 lbs
- Tablet with HDD Dock: 2.5lbs