PS4 Leads September 2014 NPD Group Chart with Over 500,000 Units Sold [UPDATE]
Update: Here is the official response from Microsoft PR:
We believe this will be one of our biggest holiday seasons ever. We’re offering great Xbox One bundles aligned with the most anticipated game launches of the year, including ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity,’ ‘Sunset Overdrive’ and ‘Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare,’ and incredible deals for fans. Combined with blockbusters like ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection,’ ‘Grand Theft Auto 5,’ ‘Destiny’ and ‘Forza Horizon 2,’ we are committed to making Xbox One a great place to play this holiday.
No sales numbers for the Xbox One during the month of September are currently known.
Original Story: The PS4 sold three times as many units in September versus August, totaling at over 500,000 units sold during the month according to the month’s NPD Group figures. Sony has given the Limited Edition Destiny PS4 bundle credit for the achievement.
Sony has stated that the PS4 not only outsold the Xbox One for the month, but in terms of software it pushed more copies of Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, and FIFA 15. This shows a strong shift from the Xbox leading as a sports console of choice for North American consumers.
Below you will find the full software sales chart:
1. Destiny (XBO, PS4, 360, PS3)
2. Madden NFL 15 (360, PS4, PS3, XBO)
3. FIFA 15 (PS4, 360, PS3, XBO, Wii, PSV, 3DS)
4. Super Smash Bros. (3DS)
5. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4, XBO, PC)
6. NHL 15 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
7. Minecraft (360, PS3)
8. The Sims 4 (PC)
9. Disney Infinity 2.0 (360, PS3, NWU, PS4, XBO)
10. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls (PS4, 360, PS3, XBO, PC)
Also See: Can the Xbox One Ever Overtake the PS4?
SVP of Brand Marketing at SCEA Guy Longworth also noted that PlayStation Store revenue set an all-time record during September, “led by the launch of Destiny”. Digital sales have climbed substantially since the launch of the PS4, leading to Sony’s emphasis of the Day 1 Digital Program.
Sony also shared some key milestones for the month related to the PS4’s high figures and the launch of Destiny, which are as follows:
- Destiny is currently the most-played PS4 game, with total gameplay hours 5X higher than the second most-played title.
- Destiny is #1 across pre-order sales, day one sales, week one sales, and month one sales on PS Store.
- Social sharing is hugely popular among Destiny players, with 450,000 hours of live gameplay broadcasted via the PS4 system’s SHARE functionality.
- New PlayStation Plus memberships increased 115 percent from the week prior to Destiny’s launch.
- The limited-edition Destiny PS4 bundle helped drive PS4 hardware sales to its biggest month in 2014.
With Driveclub released last week, the PS4’s next big exclusive is LittleBigPlanet 3, a game with strong mainstream appeal. With a release shortly before Black Friday, Sony is likely to finish the year strong with a high value bundle available along with marketing of its exclusive line-up and Destiny.