GTA V Breaks 7 Guinness World Records in Less Than 1 Month
Grand Theft Auto V's development cycle was lengthy, but it has paid off tremendously for Rockstar North.
Guinness World Records has announced that GTA V has set a total of 7 world records with its release, with the potential for more to come. Not only did it shatter records for the video game industry, but it cemented itself as a monumental entertainment release with $1 billion made in 3 days.
Below are the list of records it has broken:
1. Best-selling action-adventure videogame in 24 hours
2. Best-selling videogame in 24 hours
3. Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
4. Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion
5. Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours
6. Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
7. Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame
We questioned before GTA V came out whether or not it will become the best-selling game of the generation. Everything it has done up to this point indicates it will stand victorious at the end of the generation.
Better yet, it has a shot at becoming the best-selling non-bundled game ever. Wii Play currently holds that title in the Guinness World Records books with around 27.49 million copies sold. Grand Theft Auto IV isn't far behind with around 25 million to account for, and GTA V has been outpacing its predecessor since launch. It's already well beyond 15 million units sold, and it hasn't even been on the market for a full month.
GTA V's achievements to this point are extremely impressive, but the biggest prizes are yet to come.