Anderson Cooper will exit CBS News‘ 60 Minutes after nearly two decades on air. Cooper was reportedly in talks with CBS about a possible renewal in recent weeks, but it seems that he has opted out of the negotiations, choosing to leave the show altogether. Cooper released a statement about his exit from 60 Minutes.
Anderson Cooper is leaving 60 minutes
Anderson Cooper, who also works for Anderson Cooper 360° at CNN and on his own podcast, revealed that he was departing CBS News’ 60 Minutes after being associated with the program for nearly two decades (via Variety).
Cooper released a statement about his departure from the famous program. “Being a correspondent at ’60 Minutes’ has been one of the highlights of my career. I got to tell amazing stories, and work with some of the best producers, editors and camera crews in the business,” Cooper said. “For nearly twenty years, I’ve been able to balance my jobs at CNN and CBS, but I have little kids now and I want to spend as much time with them as possible, while they want to spend time with me.”
CBS also released a statement, thanking Cooper for his time on the network. CBS said they were “grateful” to Cooper for “dedicating so much of his life to this broadcast, and understand the importance of spending more time with family. 60 Minutes will be here if he ever wants to return.”
Breaker previously reported Cooper’s intention to leave. But he signed a new deal late last year, which kept him around till now.
Cooper’s departure would deal a huge blow to CBS. With multiple issues already plaguing the network since Bari Weiss took over as editor in chief.
Anderson Cooper appeared on 60 Minutes on Sunday night, during its “Last Minute” segment, which may as well be the veteran host’s final appearance on the show.
