In the latest edition of The Wrestling Observer Newsletter Dave Meltzer sheds new light on the circumstances around Roman Reigns‘ loss to Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania 34 as well as the subsequent altercation that happened between Brock and Vince McMahon backstage afterwards.
You can find some highlights from Meltzer’s report below. You can read his full report, as well as subscribe to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, by clicking HERE.
- Paul Heyman was aware Lesnar was going to beat Reigns by at least a week before the bout
- He was the only one other than Vince and Lesnar to know a week before the big show
- Heyman was apparently “working” the media all week by letting them think that Lesnar was going to UFC knowing he was staying with WWE
- Lesnar’s new deal apparently ends before SummerSlam and allows him to negotiate his next UFC fight while under contract
- Lesnar’s new contract was not signed until he got to New Orleans
- Reigns was not told he was losing to Lesnar until the day of WrestleMania and the script for the show actually had Reigns winning via spear after bouncing off the ropes
- There is a good chance that the heated exchange between Lesnar and Vince backstage after the match was something they did just to “work” the people backstage
- With that said, it sounds like Vince was not expecting it and Shane was not in on it at all
Major Updates Regarding Lesnar's Victory Over Reigns At WrestleMania & Lesnar's New WWE Contract