This week there was a press conference in Tampa Bay to announce the WrestleMania 36 location. At the event, media were given a list of words and phrases. The list included terms that media should use to refer to WWE Superstars and what to call the WWE Championship, among others.
The Tampa Bay Times posted an article about the list and posted the following “do’s and don’ts” that the media was given:
- When referring to our talent, we ask that you refer to them as WWE Superstars both for the men and women and NOT as “professional wrestlers.”
- As of March 2016, our female Superstars are NO longer referred to as WWE Divas, so please call them WWE Superstars.
- Please refer to our company as WWE and NOT World Wrestling Entertainment.
- Please do not refer to our company as “the WWE,” but rather just “WWE.”
- Please do NOT use the term “professional wrestling,” instead using WWE or Sports Entertainment to describe our brand (E.G. “We have many WWE fans in the Tampa area” or “I have always been a fan of sports entertainment.”)
- The WWE Championship or WWE Title are appropriate names for the title. It is not called a “belt” or a “strap.”