The British royal family is navigating another intense scandal following the arrest of ex-Prince Andrew. While authorities, insiders, and historians are still examining the allegations, they say the situation is already having ripple effects behind palace walls. Experts suggest the controversy may damage the monarchy’s reputation while also strengthening the positions of certain senior royals.
Ex-Prince Andrew’s arrest ‘biggest’ Royal scandal in ‘last century,’ says historian
Royal historian Gareth Russell believes the situation represents an extraordinary turning point for the monarchy. Speaking to Us Weekly, Russell described the arrest as a scandal that blends personal controversy with political implications in a way rarely seen in modern royal history. “On the one hand, it’s an embarrassment,” he said, noting that the allegations have placed renewed pressure on the institution’s public image.
Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office at the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk on Thursday. Thames Valley Police confirmed they had detained “a man in his sixties.” As such, they did not publicly identify him, in line with U.K. protocols. Authorities had previously acknowledged they were investigating allegations that, during Andrew’s tenure as a U.K. trade envoy, he may have shared confidential information with financier and sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.
Russell argued the situation also carries a second, more complicated consequence for the royal family. According to him, the developments may serve as “vindication” for figures such as Queen Camilla and Prince William. It was previously reported that they were believed to have favored stricter measures regarding Andrew’s royal role years earlier.
“Andrew’s arrest is an enormous scandal by any standards,” Russell said. He added that it could ultimately be remembered as “the biggest scandal in the last century.” Still, he emphasized it is too early to determine its long-term historical placement.
Meanwhile, King Charles III addressed the news in a carefully worded public statement. The monarch expressed his “deepest concern” while stressing that the investigation must proceed “in the appropriate manner.” “In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and cooperation,” the statement read.
