President Donald Trump has weighed in on the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the disgraced former British royal known as Prince Andrew. Trump is calling the situation “very sad” and damaging to the monarchy.
Donald Trump has a reaction to ex-Prince Andrew’s arrest
Addressing reporters aboard Air Force One while traveling to Georgia, Donald Trump expressed sympathy for the British royal family. “I think it’s a shame.” Further adding, “I think it’s very sad. I think it’s so bad for the royal family. It’s very, very sad.”
The president’s remarks came shortly after news broke of ex-Prince Andrew’s arrest. The British authorities arrested the former prince on the morning of February 19, which was also his birthday. Police arrested him on suspicion of misconduct in public office over alleged correspondence with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein during Andrew’s time as a British trade envoy.
Authorities also searched multiple addresses on the royal estates in Windsor and Sandringham, where Andrew had been residing after recently being forced to leave the Royal Lodge. Additionally, the arrest represents an unprecedented moment in British history, as members of the royal family typically remain beyond such legal scrutiny. Andrew, who maintains his position as eighth in line to the throne, could face life imprisonment if convicted.
Despite the controversy surrounding ex-Prince Andrew, Trump took time to talk about his relationship with King Charles III, who is set to visit the United States this summer for the nation’s 250th birthday celebration. “He’s a fantastic man, king,” Trump said. He further reflected on his September state visit to the United Kingdom. Back then, he received a grand state dinner at Windsor Castle. Trump said he thanked King Charles for what he called “one of the highest honors of my life.”
Furthermore, Donald Trump used the moment to reiterate his distance from Epstein. He reminded reporters that he has never faced charges related to the disgraced financier. “I’ve been totally exonerated. I did nothing, in fact, the opposite. He was against me. He was fighting me in the election which I just found out throughout the last three million pages of documents (via New York Post).”
The investigation is still ongoing.
