An invasion was upon WCW at the 1996 Great American Bash, and The Lapsed Fan podcast is recalling what it was like just before the levees breached and one of the great angles in wrestling history – the nWo – flooded WCW and changed the wrestling business.
Your co-chairmen Jack Encarnacao and JP Sarro take a look at the 96 Bash in the latest episode, recalling and analyzing:
– Just how WCW was able to create the mood that just two guys in street clothes could put an entire company under siege
– The role Tony Schiavone played in getting the nWo concept over
– The WCW debut of Rey Mysterio, and one of the great instances of rising to the occasion in major league wrestling against Dean Malenko
– The merits and demerits of The Giant
– Chris Benoit and Kevin Sullivan take it to the bathroom, a crazy scene made even crazier by choice words from Dusty Rhodes on commentary
– Sting’s odd insistence that Steven Regal might be gay
– Bobby Heenan in the managerial role one last time, leading Flair and Arn against those “pigskin buffoons” Mongo and Greene
Revisit a moment that changed the business and matches that left a lasting impression with The Lapsed Fan’s review of the 1996 WCW Great American Bash, available for download here.
You can listen to the show in the video player below, or alternatively you can download it by clicking here. (Right Click/Save As)
To check out past episodes of The Lapsed Fan, be sure to click here!
You can subscribe to the Lapsed Fan RSS feed at http://www.sherdogvideos.com/lapsed/lapsed_podcast.rss
bobby heenandean-malenkodusty rhodesGreat American Bashnworey mysterioStingthe lapsed fanTony SchiavoneWCWWWEHave a news tip? Attended an event and want to send a live report?