TNA Impact Wrestling live event (Wilkes-Barre, Pa.)
Report by John Glenn and ProWrestling.net
1. Austin Aries beat Brian Kendrick and Robbie E in an three-way to retain the X Division Title. I didn’t see the match because I was running late. I heard from the people next to me it was a good match.
Earl Hebner came out. He always gets a great pop here, even when he was at WWE shows in the past. Every time he came out the crowd would cheer. He did his thing where he wore the “Damn Right I Did” shirt and imitated Bret Hart.
2. James Storm beat Gunner. Storm won with the super kick. Decent match.
3. Winter beat Mickie James to retain the TNA Knockouts title. A great knockouts match. Better then anything the WWE divas put on. Also, can Mickie James shorts get any shorter? Every time she bent down or applied a submission maneuver, you could see right up her shorts (not that I’m complaining).
4. Bobby Roode beat Bully Ray. Bully Ray was really over with the crowd. Lots of “you suck” chants. Roode won by submission. The crowd was really into this one.
Intermission Mickie James signed autographs. Earl Hebner was selling his “Damn Right I Did” t-shirt.
5. Mexican America beat “The Pope” Deangelo Dinero and Devon to retain the TNA Tag Titles. They did a weird spot where Pope and Devon hit Mexican America with water bottles. Mexican America won with a reverse roll up on the pope.
Jeff Hardy came out to the best pop of the night. He talked for a little bit before Jeff Jarrett came out. Jarrett said that Hardy should apologize to him because he is the founder of TNA. He challenged Hardy to a match. Hardy asked what the crowd thought and Jarrett hit him with a microphone.
6. Jeff Hardy beat Jeff Jarrett. A quick match that Hardy won with the Swanton Bomb. After the match when Jeff Hardy was on his way back, my friends and I started a small “C.M, Punk” chant. He made a C.M. Punk gesture towards us and headed to the back.
7. Kurt Angle defeated Mr. Anderson to retain the TNA Title. Anderson called the crowd out on being quiet. ScrantonWilkes-Barre fans usually only mark for big names. I’m not saying Ken Anderson isn’t a big name. However, most wrestling fans here only pop for big name’s like Hardy, Cena, etc. Kurt Angle came out to a decent mix of cheers and boos and won with an Angle Slam. Very quick match.
Afterwards Kurt angle stayed stayed in the ring to take pictures with the fans for $20. The Pope signed autographs at the souvenir stand.
Notes: Overall, I was disappointed with this house show. TNA has come here three times. The second time they came here was the best house show – WWE or TNA. It had a lot of wrestling. There was a big crowd and they where hot all night. Afterwards, everyone came out for autographs. This show however was a big let down. The crowd was smaller. The matches where shorter and not as action packed. Only half the arena was used and not even half of it was full.
Have a news tip? Attended an event and want to send a live report?