– I do not consider Chris Jerichoâ<80><99>s title reign as undisputed champ a disappointment whatsoever. Chris has never done anything to disappoint me in the ring and is one of the classiest individuals I have ever worked with in wrestling. Those that may unwisely think that Chrisâ<80><99> run as undisputed champ was less than it should have been need counseling.
– C.M. Punk is a uniquely talented wrestler and is one of the primary reasons I watch ECW every Tuesday night. Some day I hope he is a part of the Raw roster.
– I enjoyed working as the head of talent relations for many years in the WWE and signing so many individuals who became major stars. Those days are now merely memories and a part of wrestling history. I have zero desire to devote 24/7 to anything outside my family at this stage of my life, so the odds of me ever going back to head the WWE talent department are pretty much non-existent.
– I donâ<80><99>t have a clue if Chyna will ever be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. I suppose it is possible but most likely, not probable. Plus, I still stick by my guns that Chyna wrestling men back in the day in the WWE was ill advised. If some fans enjoyed it, then great. I did not, as I donâ<80><99>t think women should wrestle men, at least not in front of paying customers.
– I have not read Lance Stormâ<80><99>s commentary about his feelings regarding the TV announcing on TNA. Mike Tenay is a wonderful man who I greatly respect for many reasons, so I will be the last guy to ever â<80><9c>knockâ<80> Mikeâ<80><99>s work. I do not know Don West and donâ<80><99>t feel it would be right to rip him either. Announcing wrestling matches isnâ<80><99>t an easy job plus one can only comment on what is on oneâ<80><99>s monitor and all broadcasters are expected to tow the company line, whether it be in wrestling or other TV vehicles, or seek work elsewhere.
– If Austin Idol were in his prime today he would be a wealthy â<80><9c>Heartthrob.â<80> Great charisma, great talker, really solid in ring work and Idol was blessed with â<80><9c>itâ<80> which is either in a wrestler or not, as it cannot be manufactured. Cleveland Brownsâ<80><99> G.M. Phil Savage told me some cool Austin Idol stories when I saw Phil at the Cleveland Raw a couple of weeks ago. Try and find some old tapes of Idol vs. Lawler as that was some badass stuff.
– I have commented on the outstanding abilities of A.J. Styles many times here. Whether or not A.J. ever makes it to the WWE isnâ<80><99>t my call, itâ<80><99>s the WWEâ<80><99>s and A.J.â<80><99>s. Please give my best to him nonetheless.
– Tag team wrestling will rise in prominence once depth issues are addressed, and they seem to be slowly, and there is more TV focus on duos. I think fans still enjoy good tag team wrestling, but they have to emotionally care about the teams they are seeing and the teams need to be steeped in a personal issue.
– The WWE is releasing a major Von Erich/World Class DVD soon that I am told is going to be compelling. I hope it is as the story of the World Class promotion almost has to be seen to be believed. I helped start the negotiations with the Von Erich family on the WWE acquiring the World Class library when I was still based in Connecticut and dealt mostly with Kevin, who I have always liked.
– J.R. trying to be a bad guy back in 1996 was not one of the stellar moments in my career but the in-ring promo I did in Hershey, PA may have been one of the first â<80><9c>attitudinalâ<80> promos ever done on WWE TV. The harder I tried to be a jerk and knock the WWE the more the fans seemed to like it for some crazy reason. I am happy those days are behind me. I have always simply enjoyed being a play by play guy and a wrestling fan with a great seat at ringside.
Have a news tip? Attended an event and want to send a live report?