– A graphic in tribute to Walter “Killer” Kowalski is shown.
– Randy Orton’s music hit to kick off the show. Orton walks out with his left arm in a sling. He enters the ring and grabs a mic. Orton says first off, as you can tell, he is still injured. He said he didn’t want to come back until he was 100%, but wanted to get something off his chest. Orton said a brand is only as strong as its champion. He said when he was WWE Champion, Raw was the strongest brand in WWE. Orton said now Raw is an absolute joke. He said take the Women’s Champion, Beth Phoenix. Orton said she walks around like a love sick puppy and is embarassing herself, saying this wasn’t 90210. He questions her being in love with the weakest Intercontinental Champion in the history of the WWE, Santino Marella. Orton said he could beat Santino while still injured. He then calls Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase worthless instead of priceless. He said they should get their titles back because he wouldn’t tolerate things like that. Orton said they aren’t the real problem…the real problem is a guy going around disgracing the World Heavyweight Championship. He said his name is CM Punk. Orton mentioned a few years ago, CM Punk was wrestling in no-name towns in no-name organizations while he was World Champion. He said it was until Punk climbed a ladder, grabbed a briefcase, cashed it in and was able to call himself a World Champion. Orton said he took offense to that and said his reign as champion was an insult. He said he would love to challenge CM Punk tonight and reclaim what is his. Orton said he can’t do that since he isn’t medically cleared. He added when he is, he will challenge Punk and reclaim Raw. Orton said his goal is to make everyone forget about the sorry history of Raw known as CM Punk.
Punk’s music hits as he gets a big reaction making his way to the ring. Punk gets in Orton’s face as a loud “CM PUNK” chant starts up. The two talk some trash. Punk said what he got was a headache listening to Orton talk back there. He said not everyone has a grandpa and dad to usher him into the business. Punk said not everyone gets to the top the same way and it didn’t matter how he did it because he is a World Champion. He said he doesn’t drink, smoke and most of all take joy rides on motorcycles to delay his return. Punk said he went from the Age of Orton to a complete afterthought. He said he didn’t blame Randy for running down every champion on Raw because he would be jealous too. Orton disputes being jealous until Punk cuts him off saying he would love to fight him right now, but this conversation would have to take place at a later time since he has a Battle Royal tonight and Championship Scramble to worry about this Sunday. He tells Orton to leave calling him pathetic. Orton steps back and agrees this conversation will have to take place at another time. Orton leaves the ring and Punk starts to run him down when JBL’s music hits. Orton walks by JBL staring him down and heads to the back as JBL walks down.
JBL gets in the ring and grabs a mic. Some guy is literally dressed in a suit and cowboy hat holding up a JBL sign in the crowd. JBL said fairy tales are not real and Punk’s reign as World Champion will run up this Sunday at Unforgiven. He thinks the odds are very much against Punk this Sunday and adds he won’t even have to pin him to win the title. JBL brings up Kane, Batista and Rey Mysterio.
Kane’s pyro goes off and he heads to the ring. Kane has a mic and gets in JBL’s face. Kane says a clothesline from hell huh? He said he has been to hell and didn’t see his clothesline anywhere. Kane said he did see Rey Mysterio there and made sure Mysterio wouldn’t be here tonight or at Unforgiven this Sunday no matter what Mike Adamle announced.
Batista’s music hits and we are all coming out tonight I guess. Batista hits the ring and pulls the mic from JBL. Batista goes to talk when he drops the mic and spears Kane and JBL. Punk stares him down and Batista takes him out with a spear as well.
– Michael Cole plugs tonight’s Battle Royal later tonight involving CM Punk, Batista, Kane, JBL and Rey Mysterio.
– Later Tonight: ECW Battle Royal.
– John Cena’s music hits and the crowd goes nuts. It turns out it is Charlie Haas dressed up as Cena. He took the mic and told everyone not to worry because the Haas is here!
Charlie Haas vs. Kofi Kingston
The bell rings and Kingston and Haas lock up. Haas with a knee to the gut, but Kingston fires back with a huge monkey flip. Kingston with some elbows in the corner and Haas comes back with a big one of his own. Haas tries the Five Knuckle Shuffle, but Kingston kicks him in the head and then levels Haas with a huge dropkick. Kingston with a cross-body and a russian leg sweep on Haas. Kingston with double leg drop to the gut, but Haas with a big shot to the jaw. Haas attempts an FU, but Kingston rolls him up. Haas rolls through, Kingston fights out and Kingston hits the Trouble in Paradise kick to the face to pick up the pinfall.
Winner: Kofi Kingston
– Later Tonight: Contract signing between Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho.
– Backstage, Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase Jr. are arguing with Randy Orton about his comments earlier. Orton asked Cody if he remembered when they first met and when he slapped his father right in the face. Cody said he remembered and Orton slapped him. Orton called them the most talented wrestlers right now in WWE and that they needed a wake up call to get their tag titles back.
– Backstage, Mike Adamle is with Teddy Long talking about the Championship Scrambles at Unforgiven and how they could become a Labor Day tradition. Kane walks in upset saying that Rey Mysterio was never coming back and asked why Mike would lie to the fans that he was coming back. He said he wasn’t lying and noted Mysterio would be competing in a Battle Royal later tonight he hoped. Kane told Adamle to keep hoping.
ECW Battle Royal
The bell rings and everyone surrounds Mark Henry. Everyone goes after Henry and Henry shoves them all way in one big motion. Henry begins to level everyone with big right hands. Miz and Hardy give Henry a double-DDT. Miz and Hardy then drop elbows on Hardy and Miz takes out Hardy with a big clothesline. Finlay scoop slams Chavo over Henry. Finlay with a roll through on Chavo. Side Effect by Hardy on Miz. Hardy throws Miz over, but Miz holds on. Hardy and Finlay connect with a double clothesline. Chavo tries to throw Miz out, but Henry tosses both over the top.
The Miz is eliminated.
Henry splashed Finlay and took out Hardy with a big right hand. Henry with a splash on Finlay, but misses an attempt on Hardy. Finlay with a charge on Henry. Finlay and Hardy try to toss Henry over the top rope. Henry fights off and pushes both away. Henry picks up Finlay and tosses him over.
Finlay is eliminated.
We are down to Matt Hardy and Mark Henry. Hardy with a sledgehammer off the top on Henry. Hardy attempts the Twist of Fate, but Henry lifts Hardy up and throws him over the top rope.
Winner: ECW Champion Mark Henry
After the match, Tony Atlas comes into the ring and celebrates with Mark Henry who holds up the ECW Title. Jerry Lawler points out Henry eliminated everyone in tonight’s Battle Royal.
– Later Tonight: Raw Battle Royal with CM Punk, Batista, JBL, Kane and Rey Mysterio.
– A promo for Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels at Unforgiven is shown.
– Backstage, we see Chris Jericho reviewing paperwork regarding a contract for his match with Shawn Michaels at Unforgiven this Sunday.
– In the arena, Jamie Noble is in the ring and we see Layla at ringside. Noble said he brought her out to the ring to prove himself when William Regal’s music hit.
Jamie Noble vs. William Regal
The bell rings and we get a lock up with Regal kneeing Noble to the corner. Regal with a huge overhead suplex on Noble and starts choking him with his knee. Regal with a full nelson on Noble. Noble steps on Regal’s toes, hits a few elbows, roll up by Regal, roll up by Noble, but Regal stops the action with a big right hand. Regal with an irish whip to the corner followed by some stiff kicks to the ground. Regal with a big release german suplex on Noble. Regal picks up Noble and Noble gets Regal in a small package for the win!
Winner: Jamie Noble
After the match, Layla smiles and seems impressed with Jamie Noble’s win.
– Backstage, Mickie James and Kelly Kelly are shown warming up.
– Before the match, WWE Women’s Champion Beth Phoenix said Randy Orton needed to take notice of how dominate of a champion she was. Candice Michelle’s music hit to cut her off marking her return to WWE.
Candice Michelle, Mickie James & Kelly Kelly vs. WWE Women’s Champion Beth Phoenix, Jillian Hall & Katie Lea Burchill
We start with Kelly Kelly and Katie Lea Burchill. Kelly gets flipped backwards followed by a kick to the ribs on Katie. Tag to Mickie James who hits a Lou Thesz Press on Katie. Dropkick to Katie’s face. Katie tags in Jillian Hall. Katie and Jillian throw Mickie back into the corner, but Mickie fights back clearing house in the corner. Mickie attempts a huracanrana, but Mickie gets slammed down on her head in the corner. Tag to Beth Phoenix and she bounces Mickie off the top rope into a big suplex. Quick tag to Katie who comes in and chokes Mickie on the ropes. Mickie explodes from the corner with a big clothesline on Katie and a neckbreaker on Jillian. Tag to Beth, but Candice gets the tag and she elbows and kicks Beth. Wow, sloppy city with Candice botching what looked to be a hip toss on Beth. Candice is up top, Mickie and Kelly pull the Divas away, cross-body by Candice on Beth, but Beth rolls through and puts Candice on her shoulder. Candice jumps off and rolls up Beth for the quick pinfall.
Winners: Candice Michelle, Mickie James & Kelly Kelly
– A video package is shown of what went down at SummerSlam with Chris Jericho punching Shawn Michaels’ wife Rebecca and then Michaels begging for a match with Jericho at Unforgiven.
Next up, Santino came out and ran down Randy Orton. He said heâ<80><99>d prove Orton wrong and become the greatest intercontinental champion in history. The HONKEY METER IS ON!!! YES! Santino is comparing himself to Honkey Tonk man as Honkey is considered the best IC Champ of them all. He began comparing statistics before D-Lo Brownâ<80><99>s Music hit and he came out for a match.
Santino Marella v. D-Lo Brown
Santino started pounding away on brown with rights and lefts before attempting a shoulder block but quickly ate a wheel kick. D-Lo hit an irish whip and a clothesline to follow up for a two count. Brown bounded off the ropes and after avoiding a Marella drop kick, Brown hit the shining wizard.
Brown went for the frog splash and completely whiffed, allowing Marella to cover him for the win.
Winner: Santino Marella via pin fall
Santinoâ<80><99>s march to history keeps moving along.
HBK is in the back staring into space. Contract signing later on!
John Morrison & The Miz v. Cryme Tyme
Morrison and Miz danced for Cryme Tyme before all heck broke loose. Before you know it, Ted Dibiase and Cody Rhodes are back on the scene and completely pearl harbored the #1 contenders. Rhodes DDTâ<80><99>d JTG off one of the belts before reclaiming their belts and walking off.
Winners: NO CONTEST
****Commercial****Dibiase & Rhodes show off their haul to Randy Orton, who looked on approvingly.
Mickie James is talking about health care at the RNC. Kennedyâ<80><99>s there, too, but Kennedyâ<80><99>s donâ<80><99>t speak at Republican conventions.
Todd Grisham is with Batistia in the back. He asks what was on Batistaâ<80><99>s mind heading into Unforgiven. Batista said his game plan was to destroy everyone. Thatâ<80><99>s nice.
Cole & Lawler run down the Unforgiven card. Now itâ<80><99>s battle royal time.
Everyone went at it at the beginning with Batista taking both JBL and Kane down to the mat. Batista went into some big spots, hitting the spine buster on Kane and eventually a spear on JBL. He went to work on the world champion, but Punk tossed him off before eating a big spine buster. Punk took advantage of one Kane shoulder block and used it to dump Batista to the outside. JBL rushed at Punk and punk dumped JBL to boot.
That leaves Kane and CM Punk. Punk hit some strikes before Kane decked him with an upper cut and flung him into the top turnbuckle. Kane whipped the champion and mauled him with a follow up clothesline. Kane perched Punk on the top rope only for the champion to battle back and stay in the match. Kane hit a big boot that floored Punk before picking him up and hitting a side slam.
Kane hit another whip and missed the follow up which allow Punk to scrape and claw his way back into the match. He hit his kicks and punches before connecting with the high knee in the corner. He went for the bulldog, but Kane pushed him off and leveled him with another big boot. The action went back and forth before Punker went for a big spring board lariat but was caught in mid air. Kane backed him up and dumped him over the top rope and to the floor.
After the match Randy Orton mocked CM Punk. Punk got in his face and after the two exchanged words, Punk took Ortonâ<80><99>s water and threw it in his face. Ortonâ<80><99>s punked out.
As that was going on, Rey Mysterioâ<80><99>s music hit and he came out to the ring to a huge pop and went right at it with Kane. The two brawled around the ring before Mysterio eventually hit a hurricanranna that sent Kane reeling over the barricade and into the crowd.
Jerry Lawler is in the ring and heâ<80><99>s the moderator for all this fun and the official signing for the non-sanctioned match. GM Mike Adamle says if thereâ<80><99>s any physicality between the two, the match would be called off. Jericho came out first followed by HBK. Jericho didnâ<80><99>t even look Michaels in the face while HBK canâ<80><99>t keep his eyes off Jericho.
All there is to do is sign documents. The two sign the documents and weâ<80><99>re on. Jericho told Lawler â<80>~enoughâ<80><99> before asking HBK why he needs all the security. Michaels said it wasnâ<80><99>t his security. If it was his way, itâ<80><99>d just be the two of them. Jericho said he didnâ<80><99>t feel the need to be monitored so once HBK gave the â<80>~okâ<80><99>, he dismissed the security and Lawler. Itâ<80><99>s just HBK and Jericho.
Jericho said he did something heâ<80><99>d never do for him. He said he sat his wife and kids down and told them he wouldnâ<80><99>t be a lying, man*pulative ego maniac like Shawn Michaels. He forbade them from watching Unforgiven because he didnâ<80><99>t want them seeing the brutality he was capable of. He said he wouldnâ<80><99>t go easy on him because he hit his wife in the faceâ<80>¦ he was going to end his career and show people what happened to people who lived life like he does.
He said just like he told Ric Flair, he was going to put him out of his misery. He said he wasnâ<80><99>t sorry for any of what heâ<80><99>d done to him and was proud of what he did. He said heâ<80><99>d finish him off for good. He said when he was a forgotten memory in this business, heâ<80><99>d only have himself to blame.
Michaels said he took comfort in the fact that Jerichoâ<80><99>s family wouldnâ<80><99>t be watching, because his wouldnâ<80><99>t be, either. He said some day heâ<80><99>d tell them about this. Heâ<80><99>d tell them about how sometimes itâ<80><99>s good to turn the other cheek, but sometimes itâ<80><99>s good to stare evil in the face and spit in it. He said heâ<80><99>d show Jericho no remorse at Unforgiven and would never apologize for who he is. He said at Unforgiven, it was an appropriate name. He vowed to never forgive Jericho for what he had done to him. He just hoped God would forgive him.
Lance Cade jumped him from behind but HBK caught him and sent him to the mat before putting a pretty mean beat down on him. Jericho attempted to interfere, but Michaels lunged and that was enough to scare him off. The two stared each other down as the show went off the air.
Have a news tip? Attended an event and want to send a live report?