WWE Live Event (Springfield, Mass.)
Report by Zack Zimmerman and ProWrestling.net
Glad they returned to my hometown with a Supershow. Had to come especially after missing the TNA show in CT last month due to car troubles. My family, however is from Wisconsin, so go Packers!!! First note is that Cena attended Springfield College and had a pretty successful football career here. One might call this ‘Cena Country’.
1. R-Truth over Drew McIntyre. Truth came out singing. Annoying but the kids go batshit for him. Kelly Kelly came out to distract McIntyre, Truth got the rollup
2. Santino and Koslov over The Usos to retain the WWE Tag Team Championships. The Raw GM chimed in to get a dance off. Santino and Koslov did a funny prepared number and the Usos jumped them. The finish came when Santino hit double Cobra to both Usos. Honest to God, the crowd popped and arms shot up like Stone Colds music hit. Santino may be most over act in WWE right now, especially live he is great.
3. Zack Ryder fought Yoshi Tatsu to a no contest when The Corre attacked both men.
Wade Barrett cut a promo to insane heat. Heath Slater did the same to considerably less heat. Hah Wendy. Barrett called out Big Show, who cleaned house with a chair.
4. Big Show beat Wade Barrett after a chokeslam. The Corre beat him down until Daniel Bryan, Santino, and Yoshi Tatsu made the save.
Hornswoggle and Rosa Mendes threw out t-shirts before intermission. The crowd got rather savage over generic t-shirts.
5. Kofi Kingston defeated Dolph Ziggler to retain Intercontinental Championship after Trouble in Paradise. Basically, the same match they’ve always had. No better, no worse.
6. Daniel Bryan over Alex Riley to retain the U.S. Championship. I was proudly sporting my Daniel Bryan maroon and grey, but as a big fan I must say that I wish ‘Daniel Bryan’ would incorporate some more of ‘Bryan Danielsons’ moves into his matches. I feel like a little more edge and dare I say violence could really help to get him and his submission character over.
Maryse came out after the match and said Ted Dibiase was supposed to come but was sick. Then she said he was a loser and so was Bryan. She was funny and has improved on the mic. The Bellas attacked Maryse. Gail Kim attacked The Bellas. Boom. Tag match.
7. Gail Kim and Maryse beat The Bellas. Gail Kim and won for her team. Glad to see her featured again
The Miz came out and cut a promo to crazy heat. C.M. Punk was out next. Randy Orton came out to a huge pop. He was followed by Cena, who undoubtedly had the best crowd reaction I’ve ever seen in person. Total pandemonium. He let out an audible “holy shit” at the complete orgasm the crowd had over him. As someone who gets annoyed by over-the-top Cena, even I stood and cheered like a kid for the guy. Punk grabbed a mic and said we were too loud, and he has a match to concentrate on.
8. John Cena and Randy Orton beat Miz and CM Punk. The finish saw a tandem Attitude Adjustment to Miz and RKO to Punk. Cena got the win in his hometown(ish). Punk is too funny live. Every time he got thrown from the ring he would find a way to land on Tony Chimel. By the end of the match (4th or 5th time), Chimel was forced to run around the ring and stay by the entrance curtain to avoid a staggering Punk. He is just brilliant.
Have a news tip? Attended an event and want to send a live report?