by Paula Wilson
ho are the richest people in the world? Most wealthy people seem to have achieved their financial security in one of two ways: they were born into it and have simply managed to hold on to the wealth and/or expand upon it, or they received a healthy infusion of capital from someone who was born with money, and then, using their own intelligence, expanded upon the nest egg. While the stories of people who went from virtually nothing to owning empires are highly publicized, they are actually not that common.
More often than not, it is the already high-net-worth individuals, and the people who convince these wealthy individuals to share some of their worth, that make the biggest bucks. It is a tiny, rather exclusive inner circle. Despite all this, of the top 10 richest people in the world, six are self-made. If you are not well off but have aspirations of being wealthy beyond belief, you might want to speak with one of the billionaires on this list, or at least marry one of their children, or even someone on their staff. Below are the richest people in the world as of July 5, 2012. Love them, envy them, or hate them, but most importantly, study them closely.
16. Karl Albrecht Net Worth – $21.8 billion
15. Bernard Arnault Net Worth – $23.8 billion
14. Stefan Persson Net Worth – $24 billion
13. Li Ka-Shing Net Worth – $25.2 billion
12. Alice Walton Net Worth – $26.5 billion
11. S. Robson Walton – Net Worth $26.9 billion
10. Jim Walton Net Worth – $27.5 billion
9. Christy Walton Net Worth – $28.5 billion
Related: Who is the Richest Woman in the World?
8. David Koch Net Worth – $35.5 billion
7. Charles Koch Net Worth – $35.5 billion
6. Ingvar Kamprad Net Worth – $37.6 billion
5. Larry Ellison Net Worth – $38.2 billion
4. Amancio Ortega Net Worth – $43.1 billion
3. Warren Buffet Net Worth – $46.7 billion
2. Bill Gates Net Worth – $62.9 billion
1. Carlos Slim Helu Net Worth – $73.3 billion
Related: Richest Man in the World
Via Celebrity Net Worth