Apparently, while the boy and his family were visiting grandma, the kid snuck away to his grandma's garage and found the THC-laced cookies in the fridge. His grandma had been diagnosed with cancer and was recently given a prescription for the drug to help her sleep.
According to the family, the boy had been acting normal and fell asleep around 5 p.m. They became concerned around 9:30 a.m. the following morning when the boy appeared to be breathing, but they just couldn't seem to wake him.
The child was brought to the hospital for observation, but was released without any problems shortly after. Everyone learned a lesson the hard way, and the grandmother reassured police that she would never make the cookies again. The family was incredibly remorseful and there was no question that, aside from this particular accident, the child was well cared for.
On the bright side, at least the kid just fell asleep instead of making his family sit through the "Harold and Kumar" movies with him while he dipped Cheetos into a vat of spinach dip.